Saturday, February 02, 2008

my first car



Since I'll be giving away my much loved Swift to my sister soon, I've been hunting for a car for myself. This process of second-hand car shopping reminds me of my first car.

It can be considered as a "major life event", similar to marriage, moving house... etc. It got to drive it to school the next day, the first day of my Form 7 year. I remember angonising where I should park that lovely car of mine. Will it be stolen? Will it be scratched? I even got myself one of those old fashioned steering wheel-brake lock from K-mart, cars were expensive then.

It was a silver Galant, similar to the one above. New Zealand-new (at that time I was told don't get a cheap second hand Jap import, for they are just troublesome to repair.. blah blah blah) with around 50,000kms on the clock. Bought it for $20,000. My only criteria was I wanted a car with climate air, a luxury item at the time.

It lasted a few good years until it ended rather miserably; after I lost a corner in Whitford, the car had to be written off. I was speeding of course. It's my belief that it's only after having a "major" accident that any boy will learn to drive sensibly. In fact, we all learn from our own lessons, not others. Right?

Since then, I've driven..

A Jap import 4 door Mirage (looks like a Lancer). After I stuffed up the tiptronic gear box...

Mum's Renault 21. After 1 year of working full-time...

A new Honda Integra. Yes, it's the mid 20s crisis, wanted to drive a 2 door "sports" car. Just like in one's 40s, one would like a Porsche. After getting tired of pretending to be a boy racer (afterall, it wasn't even a Type-R!)...

Leased a current model Honda Civic. After figuring out paying monthly lease are actually quite expensive for a private individual, not to say I'm clocking up the mileage like mad...

A Jap-import Swift.

What I'm looking for now? A $7000 bucks Nissan pulsar wagon.

A few observation:

Throughout all these years, I love my climate-air.
I was quite influenced by "brand-loyalty"

So why such a cheap car? I don't know, can't be bothered spending any more money then I need to for a car anymore? True to the reputation that Kiwis love their cars, everyone in my household has a car now. Different kinds serving different needs. For me, I just want something that move!

No comments: