Friday, January 25, 2008

disquieting stuff



Everyday, I'm surprised by how much I don't know. Quite, disquieting.

How can a drop of Pilocarpine, or even better, a bit extra history from patient, can save a getting a head scan? read on.

Heard of the notion of complete disease remission for newly diagnosed overweight diabetics? We all know losing weight helps, but there are probably more to it then just weight. Surgery, again, may be the panacea.

When asked by my patient "where you came from doc?", I often proudly proclaim "Hong Kong, been here 16 years!" I remember one patient asked me the same question a few months ago, but somewhat in a apologetic way, as if she really just wanted to find out where I'm from, without wanting to sound insensitive. The fact of the matter is, I have no issue of people wanting to know where I came from, for it's obvious from my looks, name, and accent that I'm not a NZ European. People will alway see race and ethnicity as defining characteristics, but I agree with the author of this article, that we should aim to "embrace the commonality of human experience that binds us together". Similar to vicar Glynn Cardy's view when he "camped with the Mormons"

Speaking on quality of care, until the day when a sample of every practicing clinician can pass both the written and clinical part of FRACP every year, I doubt anyone can think the Physician exam as it stands as a "relevant and meaningful measure of cognitive competence".

When is someone "disabled"? A brief review on how society sees and define disability.

We we giving out Losec like lollies?

Photo credit

No comments: